5 Tips to Help Kick Your Sugar Habit to the Curb!
Sugar creates fluctuations in our blood sugar leading to crash spikes and crashes in our energy level. What can you do about it?
To get you started, here are 5 easy tips to help you reduce your sugar intake and kick your sugar cravings:
- Include sweet vegetables in your meal to satisfy your sweet tooth – e.g. carrots, sweet potatoes, and onions.
- Reduce caffeine, which worsens blood sugar fluctuation. Instead of coffee, try green tea, which tends to be lower in caffeine content; or Rooibos, which is caffeine-free.
- Stay hydrated – our body can perceive dehydration as hunger. Drink before you feel thirsty.
- Increase protein intake – e.g. organic meat, legumes, nuts and seeds. Protein is a precursor of neurotransmitters, which are essential for balancing our brain chemistry.
- Eat foods that are rich in chromium and sulfur. Chromium is abundant in brewer’s yeast, as well as beef, liver, whole wheat, rye, fresh chilies, oysters, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, wheat germ, green bell peppers, eggs, chickens, apples, butter, bananas, and spinach. Sulfur is readily available in protein foods – meat, fish, poultry, eggs, milk and legumes are all good sources. Egg yolks are one of the best sources of sulfur.